New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2

This is a continuation and completion of this project …  ‘Building a new Lead Catcher’ . . . w/no plans on the internet & little information…hmmmm? . . . Part 1 … I suppose it’s been two months since I started thinking serious about this Lead Catcher Backstop, did the drawing, mulled on it some and actually ordered the materials and got to the welding part of it.

In the last article I left off with the testing of plate steel and made the order, had to wait a week for delivery and then got all the pre-cut 3/8’s inch steel plate home here to the shop to start welding it all together. Here below is the start of the project…joining the first two pieces together, a side sitting on top of the triangular top plate.

New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2 3

 

From there it was like assembling a 300 pound puzzle…here’s the front end, the ‘catcher’ tacked together awaiting the 6 inch pipe on the back side to get cut to fit and tacked on.

New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2 5

 

Now with the pipe fit to the front end, it was time to do some serious welding for a day and a half.

New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2 7

 

Here I have it propped up to start running MIG wire inside and out…I figured I’d have to weld both sides of every joint. I ended up wrestling this thing around the shop floor trying to get it in the best position to do all the seams.

New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2 9

 

Here it’s set up for the inside welding, Bubbie is keeping track of my MIG pliers for me…

New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2 11

 

Finally…some red paint from some rattle cans.

New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2 13

 

From here Manny and I parked the truck behind the rail tie backstop and hooked a come-a-long to the lumber rack to pull this mongosity into a hole we cut into the backstop with a chainsaw. This is Manny, my older brother.

New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2 15

 

Then I braced it up real good with some redwood blocks so it would stay put…

New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2 17

 

Then finally, here it is mounted and braced and ready to go…Manny just commented that he thought we’d have a lot more trouble getting it into the backstop…the secret weapon was the come-a-long. That gizmo saved the day and our backs! At this point we were fried and called it a day, thanks be to God we had a day in the 80’s, plenty of clouds going by to save us from the 95º heat from the day before!

New Pistol Target Backstop _ It works . . . part 2 19

 

Well….next I spent a day recuperating and cleaning the shop. It’s amazing how you can destroy the shop with just one little project. This catcher had a little over 31 foot of continuous welds in it! My right bicep is in the process of peeling now from the dummy who welded it up in short sleeves!

Next is the testing for real…I had to figure a way of attaching the targets inside of the catcher so that I could change them easily from one practice session to the next. That took some mulling but I came up with a way that you’ll see in the following video.

 

 

Thanks to you all for your time in watching and leaving your comments on this build. I hope it inspires you fellas to do something similar because catching and re-using our lead is paramount these days, especially so here in CommieFornia!

“Ok Boys…take it easy…enjoy yourselves this summer & get your practice on the range…watch that 6 & be careful, don’t hurt yourselves!”

c h a r l i e

Share this:
Subscribe
Notify of
9 Comments
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments